OOH my stars. This is a recipe that not only looks amazing, but tastes wonderful as well. I tested this recipe that I found over at Taste of Home (my number one go-to for wonderful recipes)
This was easy to put together, with ingredients that are readily available in my pantry most of the time. I am thinking, maybe next time I'll add a cream cheese filling as well, just to make these MORE sinful!
The bars in the photo were made with a 9x13 pan and they're thick!
Tip: don't omit the almond extract, even add a dash more! And be sure to add the glaze, it adds just the right amount of sweetness!
Here's your recipe :)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture just until combined.
- Spread 3 cups batter into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spread with pie filling. Drop the remaining batter by teaspoonfuls over filling. You may use a 9 x 13 inch pan, just add 10 minutes or so to the baking time.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over bars. Yield: 5 dozen