Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Trip of a Lifetime!

This is my husband's mom.  This picture was taken shortly before she found out that her breast cancer had returned, and returned with a vengeance.  This summer, we learned that our time with her would be more precious and valuable than ever.  The cancer that mom beat, years ago, has attacked her bones.  Terminal. 

We were called to her home, where we were given the devastating news.  Sat, sobbing, afraid, so many questions, so few answers. Anger.  Grief. Unwielding sadness.  Frustration.  Fear.  Silence.

Mom got up, and returned with her "Bucket List"...a list of things to do before she "kicks the bucket."  Hard to hear...but then...we realized...we can DO some things for her, we can make memories, we have a JOB!  So, long story short...we're going to Memphis.  Tomorrow.

On mom's bucket list, there was one line: "Go see BB King again".   We've seen him every year for the past few years.  The Universe blessed us, and,well, we will see B.B. King..in Memphis, at The BB King Blues Club, the flights, our meals, everything...paid.

So!  We're leaving tomorrow!  I'll be spending 4 incredible days with My Mama.  The gift of TIME was bestowed onto me.  I love and admire this person so much...she's been more of a mother to me than my own.  And, we'll make memories, because, you see, she's not dying...she.is.living. 

I LOVE YOU, MOM!  Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment